S C O T L A N D // highlands Landscape workshop
LANDSCAPE // NIGHT // WORKSHOP
MAY 15-19, 2017
$3000 per person // 4 student max // $1000 Deposit required - SOLD OUT
Scotland... a land of forests, mountains, rivers, sea, and waterfalls. This northern U.K. territory is one of the most dynamic countries on earth, and provides some of the most stunning landscapes and vignettes of nature for photographers.
Costs includes tuition and materials for 4 days, 4 nights hotel, transportation during the workshop, breakfast, and more. All meals (excluding breakfast) while in the field are the responsibility of the student. Sharing meals together is a great time to discuss techniques and review the events of the day, so we will try to accommodate everyone and eat all meals together.
What’s Included - Four days/ four nights packed with photography, instruction, and adventure in the Scottish Highlands, plus more!
- Pre-workshop Personal Skype Session – Before all of our destination workshops, you can benefit from a personal Q&A Skype session at your convenience with Andrew, to ask any questions you might have about your upcoming trip. This is immensely helpful to get to know your instructor, and to making sure you feel prepared for the great adventure ahead!
- Welcome Packet - You will receive your personalized welcome packet 2-6 weeks before the workshop with maps, helpful local info, nature facts, FAQ’s, technical photography information on what we will be discussing, a comprehensive list of what to bring, and more!
- Numerous Guided Hikes – We will embark on at least one hike per day through the intensely beautiful landscape of the Scottish Highlands. We will explore the myriad flora and fauna of the ecosystem, shooting anything and everything in nature, discussing a wide range of photographic tips and techniques.
- Astro Photography - We will discuss and execute several techniques including night landscapes, star trails, painting with light, and more on at least one of the nights, weather permitting.
- 4 Nights Lodging, breakfast, water, and snacks – We will be staying at the sheik, modern Pentahotel Inverness (cost includes double occupancy, though private rooms may be available at extra cost), breakfast, and plenty of bottled water and snacks throughout the day will be provided.
Discussed Techniques - including, but not exclusively limited to:
- Neutral Density Filtration
- White Balance
- Depth Of Field
- Long Exposures
- Time-lapse basics
- Star Trails
- Painting With Light
- Camera Raw
Locations - Glencoe, Glen Afric, Loch Loyal, Loch Maree, Loch Lomond, Falls of Falloch, Rannoch Moor, Glen Etive, and more
Dates - Monday, May 19 – Friday, May 19, 2017
Photography Skill Level - Any, Beginner to Pro
Activity Level - Light to Moderate. We will be hiking 2-6 miles per day during this workshop, which will involve a few hours of physical exertion outdoors.
Price - $3000 which includes your pre-workshop materials and Skype Q&A, 4 days of photography instruction, all park fees, 4 nights hotel lodging (Thurs. – Mon.), breakfast daily, bottled waters and snacks in the field, transportation once workshop begins Thursday afternoon, and photo feedback and discussion sessions. Transportation to and from Inverness, lunch, dinner, and any other expenses are not included.
Deposit - A refundable* $1000 deposit is required to secure your spot.
Class Size - This class will have at most a 4 to 1 ratio of students to instructor. A minimum of 3 participants is required for this workshop to occur. Discounts may be available for multiple people in one party, and friend referrals.
Travel - Inverness will be our home base for the workshop and is easily accessible.. Inverness has it's own local airport, but it is also within a reasonable driving distance from one international airport, Edinburgh International Airport (EDI) which is 150 miles away (3 hr drive). There are many options to get to Inverness from Edinburgh including, train, bus, and renting a car... view up to date travel info HERE.
Lodging - We will be staying at the modern Pentahotel Inverness all four nights. The cost includes double occupancy, though private rooms may be available at extra cost to the student, depending upon availability.
Meals - Breakfast at the hotel, and plenty of bottled water and snacks throughout the day will be provided, but lunch and dinner meals are the responsibility of the student. There are many restaurant options, and that is where we will tend to eat as a group, so please make arrangements with Andrew if you have special dietary needs.
Transportation – Once we meet at the Hotel in Inverness on Thursday afternoon, Andrew will drive everyone in a passenger van to each location. If you tend to get motion sick, please bring medication as some of the roads we will drive are quite windy. Andrew will drive slowly and carefully, however, as he realizes how the precious cargo is he's carrying!
* Please see Terms and Conditions page for refund policy.
Itinerary - Due to unpredictable changes in weather, etc., our schedule remains flexible and subject to change. However, our start and end times are set in stone so each student can plan their travel accordingly.
Monday - We will be meeting at the Pentahotel Inverness promptly at 3:00pm, we will then head out into the field as quickly as possible to have some fun! Please be sure to give yourself enough time to make it on time to our initial meeting, as we will hit the ground running and not finish until later Thursday night, after a late sunset shoot. This far north at this time of year, general sunrise time is near 4:30AM and sunset is around 10:30PM.
Tuesday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion. We will find a nice, quiet spot to rest. Regroup at 3 or 4 to hike and explore for the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Break for dinner together, then shoot the late sunset.
Wednesday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion. We will spend a few hours at a coffee shop with our computers working on post-production and discussing digital darkroom workflow.. Around 3 or 4, we head to hike and explore for the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Break for dinner together, then shoot the late sunset.
Thursday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion. We will find a nice, quiet spot to rest. Regroup at 3 or 4 to hike and explore for the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Break for dinner together, then shoot the late sunset.
Friday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion and image critique. We will then end the workshop after checking out and a fond farewell... until next time!
Itinerary subject to change by Slaton