S C O T L A N D // ISLE OF SKYE Landscape workshop
LANDSCAPE // NIGHT // POST-PRODUCTION // WORKSHOP
MAY 11-15, 2017
$3200 per person // 4 student max // $1000 Deposit required
It was dubbed “Cloud Island” by the Norse. And an apt name it is for the famous Isle of Skye in Scotland. The convergence of mountain, sea, and sky make this large island a true photographer's paradise. The saying is more true here than anywhere I've been that "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes." For us photographers, dramatic weather is what we like, and that is exactly what you get on Skye!
Costs includes tuition and materials for 4 days, 4 nights hotel, transportation during the workshop, breakfast, and more. All meals (excluding breakfast) while in the field are the responsibility of the student. Sharing meals together is a great time to discuss techniques and review the events of the day, so we will try to accommodate everyone and eat all meals together.
What’s Included - Four days/ four nights packed with photography, instruction, and adventure on the Scottish Isle of Skye, plus more!
- Pre-workshop Personal Skype Session – Before all of our destination workshops, you can benefit from a personal Q&A Skype session at your convenience with Andrew, to ask any questions you might have about your upcoming trip. This is immensely helpful to get to know your instructor, and to making sure you feel prepared for the great adventure ahead!
- Welcome Packet - You will receive your personalized welcome packet 2-6 weeks before the workshop with maps, helpful local info, nature facts, FAQ’s, technical photography information on what we will be discussing, a comprehensive list of what to bring, and more!
- Numerous Guided Hikes – We will embark on at least one hike per day through the intensely beautiful landscape of Skye. We will explore the myriad flora and fauna of the ecosystem, shooting anything and everything in nature, discussing a wide range of photographic tips and techniques.
- Astro Photography - We will discuss and execute several techniques including night landscapes, star trails, painting with light, and more on at least one of the nights, weather permitting.
- 4 Nights Lodging, breakfast, water, and snacks – We will be staying at the luxurious Cuillin Hills Hotel or similar (cost includes double occupancy, though private rooms may be available at extra cost), breakfast, and plenty of bottled water and snacks throughout the day will be provided.
Discussed Techniques - including, but not exclusively limited to:
- Neutral Density Filtration
- White Balance
- Depth Of Field
- Long Exposures
- Time-lapse basics
- Star Trails
- Painting With Light
- Camera Raw
Location - Storr, Fairy Glen, Fairy Pools, Lookout Bothy, Quiraing, Niest Point Lighthouse, Elgol, Cuillin Hills, Sligachan Bridge, and more
Dates - Thursday, May 11 – Monday, May 15, 2017
Photography Skill Level - Any, Beginner to Pro
Activity Level - Light to Moderate. We will be hiking 2-6 miles per day during this workshop, which will involve a few hours of physical exertion outdoors.
Price - $3200 which includes your pre-workshop materials and Skype Q&A, 4 days of photography instruction, 4 nights hotel lodging (Thurs. – Mon.), breakfast daily, bottled waters and snacks in the field, transportation once workshop begins Thursday afternoon, and photo feedback and discussion sessions. Transportation to and from Portree, Isle of Skye, lunch, dinner, and any other expenses are not included.
Deposit - A refundable* $1000 deposit is required to secure your spot.
Class Size - This class will have at most a 4 to 1 ratio of students to instructor. A minimum of 3 participants is required for this workshop to occur. Discounts may be available for multiple people in one party, and friend referrals.
Travel - The Isle of Skye is remote. However, there are a few airports within a reasonable driving distance. The largest international airports are Glasgow International Airport (GLA), which is 210 miles away (5 hr drive) and Edinburgh International Airport (EDI) which is 240 miles away (5 hr drive). There is also a local airport in Inverness, which is 112 miles (2.5 hr drive). There are also many options other than renting a car... view up to date travel info HERE.
Lodging - We will be staying at the lovely Cuillin Hills Hotel in Portree all four nights (or similar). The cost includes double occupancy, though private rooms may be available at extra cost to the student.
Meals - Breakfast at the hotel, and plenty of bottled water and snacks throughout the day will be provided, but lunch and dinner meals are the responsibility of the student. There are many restaurant options, and that is where we will tend to eat as a group, so please make arrangements with Andrew if you have special dietary needs.
Transportation – Once we meet on Skye at the Hotel in Portree on Thursday afternoon, Andrew will drive everyone in a passenger van to each location. If you tend to get motion sick, please bring medication as some of the roads we will drive are quite windy. Andrew will drive slowly and carefully, however, as he realizes how the precious cargo is he's carrying!
* Please see Terms and Conditions page for refund policy.
Itinerary - Due to unpredictable changes in weather, etc., our schedule remains flexible and subject to change. However, our start and end times are set in stone so each student can plan their travel accordingly.
Thursday - We will be meeting at the hotel in Portree, on the Isle of Skye promptly at 3:00pm, we will check in, have a quick orientation, and then head out into the field as quickly as possible to have some fun! Please be sure to give yourself enough time to get to the hotel on time, as we will hit the ground running and not finish until later Thursday night, after a late sunset shoot. This far north at this time of year, general sunrise time is near 4:30AM and sunset is around 10:30PM!
Friday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion. We will find a nice, quiet spot to rest. Regroup at 3 or 4 to hike and explore for the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Break for dinner together, then shoot the late sunset.
Saturday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion. We will spend a few hours at a coffee shop with our computers working on post-production and discussing digital darkroom workflow.. Around 3 or 4, we head to hike and explore for the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Break for dinner together, then shoot the late sunset.
Sunday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion. We will find a nice, quiet spot to rest. Regroup at 3 or 4 to hike and explore for the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Break for dinner together, then shoot the late sunset.
Monday - Rise (very) early to photograph sunrise at one of our morning locations. Break for lunch together with discussion and image critique. We will then end the workshop after checking out and a fond farewell... until next time!
Itinerary subject to change by Slaton