YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WY
LANDSCAPE // WILDLIFE // THE ART OF SEEING
AUGUST 23 - 27, 2017 (PLUS AN EXCLUSIVE INVITE TO PHOTOGRAPH THE ECLIPSE IN GTNP ON AUG 21!)
$2600 per person (tuition) // 10 student max // $750 Deposit required
5 Day/ 4 Night YELLOWSTONE National Park Landscape, Wildlife, and "the Art of Seeing" Workshop
Yellowstone is the world's first National Park and one of the best national parks for landscapes and wildlife, so on this exciting workshop, we will focus our time on being at several iconic locations at the right time to capture their essence. We will also discuss the use of filtration, and post processing, and the art of seeing and composition. We will likely see plenty of wildlife as well, including, bear (both black and grizzly), wolf, coyote, fox, bison, elk, deer, moose, antelope, bald eagle, and much more. PLUS, RECEIVE AN EXCLUSIVE INVITE TO PHOTOGRAPH THE ECLIPSE IN GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK ON AUG 21!
Costs includes tuition, lodging, breakfast, snacks + waters, transportation, and more for 5 days/ 4 nights. Nightly accommodations are in West Yellowstone at the Holiday Inn and are double occupancy. Lunches and dinners while in the field are the responsibility of the student. We will provide options so students and instructor can have meals together. Sharing meals together is a great time to discuss techniques and review the events of the day!
What’s Included - Five days/ four nights packed with photography, instruction, and adventure in Grand Teton National Park, plus more!
- Pre-workshop Personal Skype Session – Before all of our destination workshops, you can benefit from a personal Q&A Skype session at your convenience with Andrew, to ask any questions you might have about your upcoming trip. This is immensely helpful to gat to know your instructor, and to making sure you feel prepared for the great adventure ahead!
- Welcome Packet - You will receive your personalized welcome packet 2-6 weeks before the workshop with maps, helpful local info, nature facts, FAQ’s, technical photography information on what we will be discussing, a comprehensive list of what to bring, and more.
- Park Related Fees – We believe in and support our National Parks system, so we are proud Commercial Use Authorization Permit holders with Yellowstone National Park! This provides us good standing with the Park and the rangers, and it helps to fund fantastic conservation projects that would not be possible without special use educators and their students! So a portion of your tuition goes right back to help protect the park you love!
- Numerous Guided Hikes – We may embark on one hike per day through the intensely beautiful landscape of the park and some surrounding areas. We will explore the myriad flora and fauna of the ecosystems, shooting anything and everything in nature, discussing a wide range of photographic tips and techniques.
- 4 Nights Lodging, Transportation in the park, water, and snacks – The group will stay together in double occupancy rooms (single occupancy may be available at the cost of the student) at the Holiday Inn West Yellowstone. Breakfast and free wifi are included, as well as other amenities. Please check with the hotel for a full list. Transportation and plenty of water and snacks in the field are also provided. Lunches, dinners, and any other expenses are the responsibility of each student. Andrew will provide options for the group to eat meals together.
- BONUS - Receive an exclusive invite to photograph the total solar eclipse in Grand Teton National Park on August 21!
Discussed Techniques - including, but not exclusively limited to:
- People As Part Of A Landscape
- White Balance
- Depth Of Field
- Long Exposures
Location - YELLOWSTONE National Park, WY
Dates - Wednesday, AUGUST 23 – Sunday, AUGUST 27, 2017
Photography Skill Level - Any, Beginner to Pro
Activity Level - Light to Moderate. We may be hiking 1-3 miles per day at most during this workshop, which will involve a few hours of physical exertion outdoors.
Price - $2600 which includes your pre-workshop materials and Skype Q&A, 5 days of photography tour + instruction, all park fees, 4 nights lodging (Wed. – Sat.), bottled waters and snacks in the field, and photo feedback and discussion sessions. Transportation to and from the park, lunch, dinner, and all other expenses are not included.
Deposit - A refundable* $750 deposit is required to secure your spot.
Class Size - This class will have at most a 10 to 1 ratio of students to instructor. A minimum of 4 participants is required for this workshop to occur. Discounts may be available for multiple people in one party, and friend referrals.
Travel - We will meet at the Holiday Inn in West Yellowstone on Wednesday afternoon. There are several airports that are relatively close. JAC airport and the town of Jackson, WY, are fairly easy to get to, at only 3 hours drive. Also, there are a few other airports within a reasonable driving distance. The closest airports other than JAC are Idaho Falls (IDA), which is 110 miles away (2 hr drive) and Bozeman (BZN) which is 90 miles away (2 hr drive).
Lodging - We will be staying at the Holiday Inn in West Yellowstone, a clean and convenient hotel at the West entrance to Yellowstone. Price includes double occupancy, but private, single occupancy rooms may be available at the cost of the student.
Meals - Breakfast at the hotel, snacks and water are provided, but other meals are the responsibility of the student. There are several restaurants in and around the park, and that is where we will tend to eat when we eat as a group.
Transportation – Once at the hotel, everyone will hop in with Andrew to travel to each location. Depending on the size of the group, we will be in a comfortable, 12 passenger van, or similar.
* Please see Terms and Conditions page for refund policy.
Itinerary - Due to unpredictable changes in weather and movement of wildlife, etc., our schedule remains flexible and subject to change. However, our start and end times are set in stone so each student can plan their travel accordingly.
Wednesday - We will meet at the Holiday Inn in West Yellowstone promptly at 3:00pm to check in and get settled in our rooms, we will then head out into the field as quickly as possible to have some fun! Please be sure to give yourself enough time to make it to West Yellowstone from the airport on time, as we will hit the ground running and not finish until later Wednesday night, after dusk.
Thursday - We will have a quick breakfast at the hotel and then head out for a sunrise shoot by 5AM at Old Faithful. After sunrise, we will begin a full day of exploring the USA’s first and most unique National Park. We will focus on the West side of the park. The highlights of the day will include Geyser Basin, West Yellowstone, Firehole River, Gibbon Falls, Artist Paintpots, and much more! This will be a good day to see elk, bison, and the possibility of bears and wolfs, plus much more! We will have the opportunity to photograph a variety of landscapes and phenomenal wildlife all day. After sunset, we will return to the West Yellowstone for dinner, discussion, and a good night’s sleep.
Friday - Waking early for a quick breakfast, we will begin another full day starting with sunrise over Yellowstone Lake. We will focus on the Central landmarks of the park. The highlights of the day will include Yellowstone Lake, the West Thumb Geyser Basin, Mud Volcano, Upper and Lower Falls of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Mt. Washburn, the grasslands, and much more! Like the days prior, will have the opportunity to photograph a variety of landscapes and phenomenal wildlife all day. After sunset, we will return to the West Yellowstone for dinner, discussion, and a good night’s sleep.
Saturday - Rise early to photograph sunrise. The highlights of the day will include the Lamar Valley, Mount Washburn, Cooke City/ Silvergate, the Beartooth Highway, and much more! This will be our best day to spot the elusive Grizzly bear and wolf, which are both making a rebounding comeback in the park after near extinction. We will have the opportunity to photograph a variety of landscapes and phenomenal wildlife all day. After sunset, we will return to the West Yellowstone for dinner, discussion, and a good night’s sleep.
Sunday - Rise very early to photograph the dawn. Shoot at several locations throughout the early morning. Break for an early lunch together with our laptops to discuss and critique our work from the trip! The workshop officially ends after lunch & checkout, but students are highly encouraged to stay in the park as long as possible to continue exploring the amazing photographic opportunities of Yellowstone National Park!
Itinerary subject to change by Slaton
Costs includes tuition for 5 days, 4 night's lodging, breakfast,, snacks and waters in the field, and all pre-trip materials. Nightly accommodations (beyond pre-arranged double occupancy accommodations) and meals while in the field are the responsibility of the student. We will provide several options so students and instructor can have meals together. Sharing meals together can be a great time to discuss techniques and review the events of the day.