LANDSCAPE // WILDLIFE // THE ART OF SEEING WORKSHOP
FEBRUARY 8-11, 2018
The Everglades ecosystem is one of the best areas for stunning landscapes and varied wildlife, so on this exciting workshop, we will focus on several iconic locations, but we will also discuss the use of filtration, and post processing, and shoot night landscapes & star pictures. Winter is my favorite time of year in the Everglades, because there are cooler temps, no mosquitos, tons of migratory birds, and a great quality to the light! It's the perfect getaway for us snowbirds.
- Pre-workshop Personal Skype Session – Before all of our destination workshops, you can benefit from a personal Q&A Skype session at your convenience with Andrew, to ask any questions you might have about your upcoming trip. This is immensely helpful to gat to know your instructor, and to making sure you feel prepared for the great adventure ahead!
- Welcome Packet - You will receive your personalized welcome packet 2-6 weeks before the workshop with maps, helpful local info, nature facts, FAQ’s, technical photography information on what we will be discussing, a comprehensive list of what to bring, and more.
- Park Related Fees – We believe in and support our National Parks system, so I am a proud Commercial Use Authorization Permit holder with Everglades, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Big Bend National Parks! This provides us good standing with the Park and the rangers, and it helps to fund fantastic conservation projects that would not be possible without special use educators and their students! So a portion of your tuition goes right back to help protect the park you love!
- Numerous Guided Hikes – We will likely embark on at least one hike per day through the intensely beautiful landscape of the park and some surrounding areas. We will explore the myriad flora and fauna of the incredible Everglades ecosystem, shooting anything and everything in nature, discussing a wide range of photographic tips and techniques.
- Astro Photography - We will spend (on at least one night) the first hour or two before sunrise and after sundown navigating the exciting night sky with our cameras. We will discuss and execute several techniques including night landscapes, star trails, painting with light, and more!
- 3 Nights Lodging, Transportation, water, and snacks – The group will stay together in double occupancy rooms (single occupancy may be available at extra cost) at the Holiday Inn Express. Breakfast and free wifi are included, as well as other amenities. Please check with the hotel for a full list. All transportation during the workshop, and plenty of water and snacks in the field are also provided.
- Image Reviews + Post-Processing Instruction - We will spend some good time on image critiques plus help with post-processing and workflow.
What’s NOT Included? Lunches and dinners are not included, though we will try to eat together as much as possible, since it's a great chance to continue talking shop. Transportation to and from our hotel in Florida City, FL are also not included, as well as anything not specifically listed above. Travel insurance can be purchased separately, HERE, but not necessary.
Price - $1500 which includes your pre-workshop materials and Skype Q&A, 4 days of photography instruction, all park fees, 3 nights Lodging (Thurs. – Sat.), bottled waters and snacks in the field, and photo feedback and discussion sessions, including transportation to and from the hotel and within the park. Lunches and dinners, and all other expenses are not included.
Deposit - A refundable* $250 deposit is required to secure your spot.
Class Size - This class will have at most a 7 to 1 ratio of students to instructor. A minimum of 4 participants is required for this workshop to occur. Discounts may be available for multiple people in one party, and friend referrals.
Travel - Everglades National Park is very close to Miami and MIA International airport, so it is incredibly easy to get to.
Lodging - We will be staying as a group very close to the entrance of Everglades National Park at the Holiday Inn Express in Florida City. Cost includes double occupancy rooms, but single occupancy is available at extra cost to the student.
Meals - Snacks and water are provided, but meals are the responsibility of the student. There are several restaurants near park, and that is where we will tend to eat as a group.
Transportation – After meeting at the hotel Thursday afternoon to check in, everyone will ride with Andrew to each location, and back to the hotel when finished at night. All transportation costs are covered, except to and from the airport before and after the workshop.
* Please see Terms and Conditions page for refund policy.
Due to unpredictable changes in weather and movement of wildlife, etc., our schedule remains flexible and subject to change. However, our start and end times are set in stone so each student can plan their travel accordingly.
Thursday - We will be meeting at the hotel in Florida City promptly at 3:00pm, and after check in and settling in to our rooms we will then head out into the field as quickly as possible to have some fun! Please be sure to give yourself enough time to check in (if lodging on your own) prior to our initial meeting, as we will hit the ground running and not finish until later Thursday night, after dusk.
Friday - Rise early to photograph sunrise over the "river of grass". Explore several nearby locations for wildlife throughout the morning. Break for lunch together with discussion. Regroup at 3 to head to the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Shoot sunset and dusk. Break for dinner together. Head out to shoot star pictures at one of several locations.
Saturday - Rise early to photograph sunrise. Shoot at several locations throughout the morning. Break for lunch together with discussion. Nap time! Regroup at 3 to head to the next location to shoot afternoon/ evening light. Break for dinner together. Head out to shoot more star pictures!
Sunday - Rise very early to photograph the stars before dawn. Shoot at several locations throughout the morning. Break for lunch together with our laptops to discuss and critique our work from the trip! The workshop officially ends at 11AM for checkout, but students are highly encouraged to stay in and around the park as long as possible to continue exploring the amazing photographic opportunities of Everglades National Park!
Itinerary subject to change by Slaton