LANDSCAPE + ADVENTURE // REMOTE WORKSHOP
JULY 17-23, 2019
A unique wilderness experience, 7 day, remote Wyoming Landscape/ Wildlife/ Adventure Workshop. This is one of my signature workshops… and a personal favorite. In my opinion, the Wind River Range is the most beautiful wilderness area in the lower 48... and it will be our playground for nearly a week this summer! Known almost exclusively by locals, crowds will not be a problem for us! If you’re looking for solitude and a peaceful “classroom” experience, this is the workshop for you. If you are in good shape and enjoy a custom, backcountry experience, then you are in for a real treat.
- Pre-workshop Personal Skype Session – Before all of our destination workshops, you can benefit from a personal Q&A Skype session at your convenience with Andrew, to ask any questions you might have about your upcoming trip. This is immensely helpful to gat to know your instructor, and to making sure you feel prepared for the great adventure ahead!
- Welcome Packet - You will receive your personalized welcome packet 2-6 weeks before the workshop with maps, helpful local info, nature facts, FAQ’s, technical photography information on what we will be discussing, a comprehensive list of what to bring, and more.
- All Park/ Recreation Related Fees – We believe in and support our National Parks, Forest, and Wilderness system, so we are proud Commercial Use Authorization Permit holders with Grand Teton, Yellowstone, & Big Bend National Parks. And though we will be primarily in National Forest for this trip, this provides us a good relationship with the federal & state authorities that oversee this vast and beautiful country, and it helps to fund fantastic conservation projects that would not be possible without special use educators and their students! So a portion of your tuition goes right back to help protect the park you love!
- Numerous Guided Hikes + Overnight Backpacking – We will embark on at least one hike per day through the intensely beautiful landscape of the park and some surrounding areas. We will explore the myriad flora and fauna of the ecosystem, shooting anything and everything in nature, discussing a wide range of photographic tips and techniques.
- Astro Photography - We will spend (on at least one night) some time after sundown navigating the exciting night sky with our cameras. We will discuss and execute several techniques including night landscapes, star trails, painting with light, and more!
- 3 Nights at Lakeside Lodge and Resort, and 3 Nights Camping - Lakeside Lodge is located near the town of Pinedale on the beautiful Fremont Lake. Price includes double occupancy, but private rooms and/ or cabins are available at an extra cost. Lakeside also has a fantastic restaurant that can provide a quiet spot for dinners. You will also have all the camping gear you need, with each of our camps set up and torn down for us by local outfitters.
- All Meals, Plus Water And Snacks - We will primarily be deep in the field when meal time comes, so healthy and hearty meals will be provided every day when in the field. Plenty of bottled water and snacks throughout the day will be provided as well. We will also enjoy several meals out. Please give advanced notice of any dietary restrictions/ food allergies, so Slaton Workshops can plan ahead to meet your needs.
- Transportation – Starting on Wednesday afternoon when we meet at Lakeside Lodge until Tuesday at noon, all transportation/ fuel is included.
- Image Reviews + Post-Processing Instruction - We will spend some good time on image critiques plus help with post-processing and workflow.
- BONUS! - Stretch out those sore muscles! One complimentary yoga session per day, with our lovely resident, certified yoga instructor, Ellen Slaton.
What’s NOT Included? Transportation to and from our hotel in Pinedale is not included, as well as anything not specifically listed above. Travel insurance can be purchased separately, HERE, but not necessary.
Location - The Wind River Mountains, WY (PINEDALE)
Dates - Thursday, June 18 – Tuesday, June 23, 2019
Photography Skill Level - Any, Beginner to Pro
Activity Level - Moderate to Strenuous. We will be hiking 5-15 miles per day during this workshop, which will involve several hours of physical exertion outdoors. Note: Please evaluate your abilities realistically, as Slaton Workshops is not responsible for injury or evacuation.
Price - $4000 which includes your pre-workshop materials and Skype Q&A, 7 days of photography instruction, 3 nights lodging (double occupancy) 3 nights camping (everything included), meals, bottled waters and snacks in the field, and photo feedback and discussion sessions. Transportation while in the field is also included.
Deposit - A refundable* $750 deposit is required to secure your spot.
Class Size - This class will have at most a 4 to 1 ratio of students to instructor. A minimum of 2 participants is required for this workshop to occur. Discounts may be available for multiple people in one party, and friend referrals.
Travel - The Wind River Range is reasonably close to JAC airport near the town of Jackson, WY. Also, there are a few other airports within a reasonable driving distance. Note: transportation to and from airports or locations not included. The next closest airport other than JAC is Salt Lake City (SLC), which is 250 miles away (4 hr drive).
Lodging - Lakeside Lodge and Resort is located near the town of Pinedale on the beautiful Fremont Lake. Price includes double occupancy for 3 nights, but private rooms and/ or cabins are available at an extra cost. 3 nights will be spent camping underneath the stars! Tents and sleeping bags are included, as well outfitting fees (camping supplies will be carried in, set up, and torn down for you!) for your comfort. Any extra gear (other than basic tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads) will be the responsibility of each student.
Meals - All meals, snacks and water are included. Meals on travel days are not included.
Transportation – All transportation while in the field is included.
* Please see Terms and Conditions page for refund policy.
Due to unpredictable changes in weather and movement of wildlife, etc., our schedule remains a little flexible and subject to change. However, our start and end times are set in stone so each student can plan their travel accordingly.
Day 1: Travel (Wednesday, June 17)
Arrive in Pinedale by 3PM to meet Andrew and the rest of the group at the hotel. Stay at beautiful Lakeside Lodge and Resort. Intro and orientation over dinner/ drinks at Lakeside.
Day 2: Acclimation (Thursday, June 18)
Explore the Soda Lake Wildlife Management Area and Bridger National Forest in the foothills of the Winds. Short hikes included to get everybody acclimated to the altitude & rugged terrain, while sharpening our landscape and wildlife skills. Moderate hiking ability required. Features of this area include: bald eagles, hawks, osprey, moose, elk, bear, pronghorn, deer, wolf, coyote, colorful aspens, beautiful vistas, exploration, etc. After the sun goes down, head back to Lakeside for dinner and a good night’s sleep!
Day 3: Green River Lakes (Friday, June 19)
Rise early for the gorgeous journey through the Upper Green River Valley to the headwaters of the Green River, two beautiful mountain lakes surrounded by the granite peaks of the Wind River Mountains. Moderate/ advanced hiking ability required. We will spend two full days exploring the immense, rugged beauty of the area! One night will even be spent under the stars, and if the conditions are right, we will learn about night/ star photography. We will also spend a few hours focusing on the adventure photography genre! We will practice working with a model to capture stunning active lifestyle photography.
Natural features of this area include: bald eagles, hawks, osprey, moose, elk, grizzly and black bear, pronghorn, deer, wolf, coyote, colorful aspens, vast tracts of lodge pole pine forests, beautiful vistas, babbling brooks, vast lakes, torrential rivers, dramatic mountains, exploration, etc.
This area is an absolute favorite of locals, and little known gem for tourists. Camp will already be set up for us and dinner over a campfire ready. A great way to end a great day in the Winds!
Day 4: Seneca Lake (Saturday, June 20)
Rise early to photograph sunrise over the Green River and iconic Squaretop Mountain. Breakfast will be ready at camp by the time we're done shooting. When we finish breakfast, it's time to head to the Elkhart Park Trailhead.
After a two hour drive to the trailhead, we will pack up our camera gear, eat a little lunch, and head out on foot for Seneca Lake (9 miles). Gorgeous scenery will greet us as we pass Photographer's Point, Miller Park, Eklund and Barbara Lakes, etc., en route to the gorgeous Seneca Lake. Camp will already be set up and ready for us when we arrive, so we will have dinner, get settled, and shoot sunset over the lake.
Day 5: Titcomb Basin (Sunday, June 21)
Rise early to photograph sunrise over Seneca and Fremont Peak. We will eat a quick breakfast, pack up camp, and head out for Island Lake (6 mi). To those who know the Wind River Range, this is one of the favorite hikes, and one of the most beautiful destinations in the entire range! We will arrive and set up camp near Island Lake at the "gates" of the Titcomb Basin.
After a little refueling with lunch, we will set out up to the Titcomb lakes to explore waterfalls and the incredible scenery of the area with our cameras. We will also shoot some active lifestyle/ adventure photography. We will again practice working with a model to capture stunning active lifestyle imagery.
Back to camp for a hot dinner, and then it's time for the alpenglow and sunset on Fremont Peak.
Day 6: Titcomb (Monday, June 22)
Awake in one of the most stunning places on earth to capture the colorful sunrise! Have a little high-energy breakfast at camp to fuel up for the hike back out to Elkhart Park (15 miles). We will likely eat lunch on the trail around Eklund Lake, then make it out of the mountains with enough time to head over to the Pinedale Aquatic Center to take a soothing dip in the hot-tub, to soak our sore muscles.
We will then head to the Brew Pub for a much needed burger and beer. It's a local favorite after a long hike!
After dinner, it's time to head back to Lakeside for a relaxing night's sleep.
Day 7: Digital Darkroom (Tuesday, June 23)
The last morning will be spent in the “digital darkroom”, discussing and teaching workflow. Downloading, editing, processing, and retouching techniques will all be performed in the comfort of the lodge. We will also conduct a group share and critique of each other’s work, and personal portfolio reviews. Check out of Lakeside at noon, and say our goodbyes.
Itinerary subject to change due to unpredictable nature of weather and conditions.